Gerberei

Rathaus

Mühle

Schiltach´s history

As early as 100 A.D., the Romans made their way over the Brandsteig (Rötenberg) from Argentorate (Strasbourg) toward the Area Flaviae (Rottweil), in order to have a faster route between the Roman Rhine and the Danube province. The old route presumably passed via the knee of the Rhine at Basle.

1275 written documents speak of Schiltach being a church parish, Schiltach "cives" (meaning town) was also mentioned.

1277 "Schlöss" and "Stött Schültach" were mentioned.

1324 Luitgard von Wittichen mentioned the Schiltach castle, while she was on her beggars pilgrimage. The then owner was Herzog Hermann l, who was a decendant of the Teck.

1371 Konrad Vll von Urslingen became the new owner after a quarrel over inheritance.

1381 he sold the castle and Schiltach for 6000 guilders to Count Eberhard von Württemberg. As this was located right on the south west end of Württemberg, it was simply a border castle.

1386 the Schiltacher Steige was mentioned. This was one of the most important regional connections through the Black Forest.

1435-1442 Schiltach was given to Count von Zimmern as pawn. From then on, Schiltach was given to the lower nobility who served the region's rulers, as a castledom. They had the duty to look after the castle and the rulers had the the right to lodge there in case of emergency.

1500, an agreement was reached between the house of Württemberg, and the house of Fürstenberg, that the neighbouring towns on the upper Kinzig, Schiltach (Württemberg) and Wolfach (Fürstenberg), had the sole privilege to regulate and manage the timber trade and rafting on the Kinzig river.

In the 16th century, the town was struck three times by fire: 1511, 1533 and 1590.

1533 a service girl from Oberndorf was made responsible for the town fire and was accused of being in union with the devil. She was sentenced to death and burnt at the stake.

1590 after the fire, the young Heinrich Schickhard and the county's master builder, Georg Beer, were instructed by Württemberg's ruler Ludwig to rebuild the town and to pay particular attention to fire safety.

1534 Schiltach joined the reformation, the house of Württemberg became Protestant.

1634 Schiltach suffered its first raid of the Thirty Year's War. The castle and town were occupied by the Villingers. From that time on, the fortress was used to house regiments from Bavaria and France under the command of General Mercy.

In the same year, the castle was largely destroyed and then immediately rebuilt with the help of all the craftsmen in the area. After that, the castle was used by the military as a depot for food and military equipment.

1643 the engraver Matthäus Merian put Schiltach on the map. His masterpiece was "Topographia Germaniae". It was created from 1642-1655 based on Martin Zeiller's description of the locality. Schiltach was one of the first to be depicted. This is the only illustration of the castle and Gothic church together, owing to Schiltach being mentioned in 1275 as a church parish.

1791 the north and west sides of the market place were totally burnt to the ground.

1798 the first factory is built in Schiltach: Parravant and Cie from Switzerland, a sewing thread factory at Hohenstein.

At the end of the 18th century the Dutch came to the Black Forest and the Kinzig valley in search of very tall and therefore old trees. They needed to find alternative building material for their towns that often stood in water, and they also needed material for building their fleet. From then on the giant trees were called "Dutchmen". The timber trade boomed, however the raftsmen were unhappy. The wealthy Dutch used their financial power to dominate the timber trade and the local raftsmen were merely used as transporters of timber. They complained to the county's rulers.

1810 as part of restructuring after the Napoleonic wars, Schiltach became a part of Baden. However, Schiltach adheres to its Swabian dialect.

1817 after a long struggle, the farmers of Lehengericht (an area of Schiltach) managed to separate themselves from the town of Schiltach. The Lehengericht town hall that stands opposite the church still belonged to Lehengericht.

1833 the church burnt down and also a part of the suburban town. It took another ten years before a new church was built. The building of the church brought the town Schiltach to the edge of financial ruin. During these desperate times many Schiltach citizens emigrated. The revolution of 1848 also affected Schiltach briefly.

1858-1892 transport routes where built
1858 road to Schramberg
1868 road from Schenkenzell to Wolfach
1886 the opening of the Kinzigtalbahn (railway) and the Schiltach stations
1892 the opening of the railway line to Schramberg

1896 timber rafting on the Kinzig river goes into decline. The new rail connections through Europe spelled the end for the waterways.

1901 Hans Grohe from Luckenwalde establishes a small sheet metal factory.

1930's Schiltach expands to include two outlying farms with a total of 118 hectares.

1973 on 1st January, Schiltach no longer belonged to the Wolfach district (which was dissolved), but, together with Schenkenzell, Lehengericht, and Kaltbrunn, becomes part of the Württemberg distict Rottweil, within the administrative district of Freiburg.

1974 April, 1st: Lehengericht once again belongs to Schiltach.

1989 three of the four museums in Schiltach were opened.

1991 saw the opening of the two bypass tunnels. Major roads no longer pass through Schiltach's town centre.

Kontakt

  • Stadtverwaltung
  • Marktplatz 6
  • 77761 Schiltach

Details

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass unsere Dienste Cookies verwenden. Mehr erfahren OK