Stadtkirche
Evangelist town church

For your orientation

Beautiful Schiltach

Marktplatz mit Blick auf den Schloßberg
The "Schlossberg"

Gässle mit Fachwerkbauten
The "Städle"

Places of interest

Lehengerichter town hall

In those days it was a curiosity: the town hall of one parish (now a part of Schiltach) stood in another parish. Today it is the home of the tourist information centre, and part of the town council offices.


Evangelist town church

The sand stone building was built in the new Byzantine style between 1833-1843. The people of Schiltach have a long tradition with the Evangilist church, going back to the time of the Württemburgs in 1810.

Even today, this building is recognised as one of the largest Protestant churches in Baden.


Former Schüttersäge (saw mill)

The "Kirchensäge"(church saw mill), or later to be known as Schüttersäge, was in operation from 1491 until 1931.The undershot water wheel has a diameter of 7.20m, the transmission assemblies and the canal system are protected under the Historical Protection Act.


Schüttesäge Museum

The citizens of Schiltach and Wolfach held the monopoly in the timber rafting industry up until the early 1900's, which extended as far as Strasbourg. The museum has exhibits that show and explain the life of the raftsmen. Other themes connected with wood, such as, forestry, the processing of wood, timber framing, and bark stripping for the tanneries, are also displayed.


Gerberviertel (tanners' quarter)

This is the oldest part of Schiltach and has always been outside the town walls. The stately timber framed houses were built by the tanners who carried out Schiltach's traditional trade by the riverside.


Äußere Mühle (outer mill)

The date 1557 is chiseled into the round entrance stone of the former customers' mill. This is makes it the oldest building in Schiltach. In the back of the house was an old barley pestle. The whole complex of buildings in this quarter have always been spared from the town fires.


Stadtbrücke (town bridge)

The road through the Kinzig valley has always been an important thoroughway, and here it crosses the little river Schiltach, which gives the town its name. The spring is in St Georgen, 30km away, from where it flows into the Kinzig. One of the loveliest views of the rivers merging, can be seen from "Roßgumpen". On the other side, in the Schramberger Straße, is the new Schiltachufer, a riverside bank where one may take a break.


The City

The old town of Schiltach, which has always been called "Stadle", nestles into the Schlossberg and is embedded within the triangle of merging rivers. Here, where once the "Untere Tor" (lower gateway) stood, and where the street turns into Spitalstraße, stands the Gasthof (inn) Adler. The distinctive oriel gives this building its character and is one of the nicest timber framed buildings in Schiltach.


Market place

This is the heart of Schiltach, and it has remained unchanged in this form since the last big town fire in 1791. The steep incline and the three-sided shape of the market place give a feeling of spaciousness. The closely spaced timber framed buildings form an encapsulated picturesque scene. The Museum Am Markt and the Pharmacy Museum are interesting attractions.


Stadtbrunnen (town fountain)

Schiltach's town fountain was mentioned as early as the 15th century and was restored in 1750. The pub and inn landlords used to store their standard measurements for the barrels and containers in a little house that stood by the town fountain until the last century. A sitting lion with emblem shield crowns the fountain. Today, there are many fairs and markets that take place around the fountain.


Schlossberg

Heinrich Schickardt rebuilt the town of Schiltach on this steep incline after one of the town fires in 1590, together with the town hall in 1593.The stepped gable of the town hall was built of stone in the Renaissance style in 1905, and the wall painting date from 1942.


Hinteres Städle (town's backstreet)

The Schenkenzeller Straße was originally the high street that ran straight through the old town. Typical timber framed merchant houses from the 16 century dominate this scene. Earlier, they belonged to the families of craftsmen who had small holdings with animals in order to be self sufficient. The old town gate was by the Gasthaus "Traube".
Schenkenzeller street


Hauptstraße (High street)

This was first laid out in the last century. The rear facades of the closely built timber framed houses in the old town make this a picturesque scene. They are built on the old town wall. One can clearly see the high water mark chiseled on the wall of house number 29 in the High street. This gives evidence of the flooding that took place in Schiltach.


The river Kinzig

The Kinzig flows through the heart of the central Black Forest. The spring is in Loßburg and it flows into the Rhein at Kehl. For a long time the Kinzig was the most important transport route and here it formed the border between Württemburg and the Fürstenbergers. There used to be a ford at Häberlesbrücke where the road crosses over the river.


Tannery

At the Trautwein company one can view (by appointment only) the traditional tanner handwork. The work here is largely focused on producing finest grade leather from sheepskins. This is not only the last tannery in Schiltach, but one of the very few remaining which produces such high quality work by hand.


Kontakt

  • Stadtverwaltung
  • Marktplatz 6
  • 77761 Schiltach

Details

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass unsere Dienste Cookies verwenden. Mehr erfahren OK